I’m in a baking phase now… mainly to clear the pantry, and to clear the mind. So after baking the chocolate muffins, I decided to bake something cinnamony. And so, apple cinnamon muffins!
I modified the recipe a little, but it’s largely according to this.
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- 3 cups AP flour (I used 3/4 cup ground hazelnut flour + 1 cup whole wheat flour + 1 1/4 cup AP flour)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed (might increase another 1/4 cup next time)
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs (or 3 55g grams)
- 3 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 2 heaping cups chopped apple (I used 1 red and 1 green apple)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 210C. Spray muffin tin with nonstick spray (or easier, use liners). Set aside.
Prepare the muffins: in a large bowl combine the flour & cinnamon. Set aside. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the milk, sugars, yogurt, softened butter, eggs, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Gently fold wet mixture into the flour, stirring until *just combined* – do NOT overmix. Gently fold in the apples & walnuts.
Spoon the batter into 12 muffin tins, making sure each one is filled to the very top.
Bake for 5 minutes at 210 degrees, then immediately reduce the oven temperature to 190 degrees and bake for another 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
**As I used liners, the size of the muffins were smaller than if I didn’t use liners (liners were smaller than my muffin pan), so I had 12 muffins and 3 mini loaves.