It’s only been a few days since we moved into the new apartment and the nearest Asian shop isn’t exactly near us, so we have been cooking Western style dishes since we didn’t have proper Asian seasonings such as soy sauce and sesame oil. Last night, I wanted to make my version* of cottage pie but ended up serving the mash and meat separately as my casserole dish was too big for the amount I made.
*Most cottage pies and shepherd’s pies use worcestershire sauce, but I didn’t want to buy a bottle of it just for this recipe. So I made my own version and used tomato ketchup instead.
- 200g mince meat (I used a mix of beef and pork) €
- 4 white button mushrooms, sliced
- about 100g frozen mixed vegetables
- about 5 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium size potatoes (about 300g?)
- 2 tbsp butter
- milk (optional)
- salt & pepper
- some oil for stir-frying
For the mash, boil your potatoes till soft. Remove skin and mash potatoes while still warm. Add in butter and a splash of milk to make the mash creamier. Add salt to taste.
While potatoes are cooking, heat about 1 tbsp of oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute the onions till soft, add in garlic and stir around for approximately 1 minute, or till fragrant. Add in the frozen mixed vegetables and cook for about 1 minute. Add in sliced mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes. When mushrooms have sweated, add in the meat and stir fry. Break up any large lumps of meat. When meat is cooked thoroughly, add the tomato ketchup, salt and pepper for taste.
If you’re making the pie, place the cooked mince and vegetable into your baking dish and top up with the mash potato. Place in a heated oven (180 degree C) for 20 minutes. You may want to top the potatoes with some shredded cheese, and/or broil the top for some crispy potato bits.
Approx. cost of this recipe: €1.83
- mince meat €0.88
- white button mushrooms €0.74
- frozen mixed vegetables: husband bought it before I arrived, so cannot determine cost
- tomato ketchup: €0.09
- 1/2 white onion: husband bought it before I arrived, so cannot determine cost
- 2 cloves garlic: husband bought it before I arrived, so cannot determine cost
- 3 medium size potatoes: €0.12
- 2 tbsp butter: from the pantry
- milk (optional): from the pantry
- salt & pepper: from the pantry
- oil for stir-frying: from the pantry